Friday, 27 December 2013

A RUN UP TUGGERANONG HILL

    
A RUN UP TUGGERANONG HILL
 by Dave Wheeler
   
    This yarn describes a particularly enjoyable day I had in 2002. I first described that day in a book I wrote entitled "Tales and Philosophy of a Canberra Boy," which is now out of print. It preceded "Tales of a Canberra Boy," which is also out of print. 
   I thought I would rewrite the yarn for this blog because I still experience those sorts of joyful days and I am hoping what I experienced will be an inspiration to others, as such pleasures are readily available to all. One does not need piss or other drugs to enjoy life. Nor does one need buckets of money.
    With this in mind there are two ways you can read this yarn. If you read it anticipating adventure, sex or violence, which are the guts of most movies and novels, you will be disappointed. If however you read it with an open mind in a mindful and relaxed manner you may be able to enjoy vicarious pleasure. 
    A walk to the shops can bring pleasure to those who are able to truly savour the moment and it can be far more intense than the pleasure that is received by those tormented folk who shove alcohol and other drugs down their throats in the hope that they will quell their turbulent minds. Those who blindly and compulsively pursue wealth, sex, status, etc are like kittens chasing their tails, because the lasting satisfaction they seek will always be out of reach.
    
APOLOGIES-
I TRIED TO MAKE A MINOR ADJUSTMENT TO THIS ESSAY AND I AM NOW HAVING FONT PROBLEMS WHICH I AM TRYING TO OVERCOME. I HAVE THEREFORE DELETED THE REST OF IT, AS IT WOULD TOO DISJOINTED FOR A READER TO UNDERSTAND. HOPEFULLY IT WILL NOT BE TOO LONG BEFORE I CAN UPLOAD IT AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment